New Delhi: Delhiites woke up to a rainy Sunday morning with the minimum temperature settling at 24.8 degrees Celsius, two notches below the season’s average.Humidity was recorded at 98 per cent. The Safdarjung observatory, the recording for which is considered official for the city, received 45.7 mm of rainfall while Palam received 11.4 mm rainfall till 8.30 am.The Lodhi Road observatory received 49.9 mm rainfall while the Ridge received 65.8 mm rainfall. Ayanagar received 20.8 mm rainfall till 8.30 am. The weatherman has forecast generally cloudy skies with the possibility of light to moderate rain/thundershower with the maximum temperature likely to settle around 30 degrees Celsius. On Saturday, the maximum temperature settled at 29 degrees Celsius, five degrees below the season’s average, while the minimum temperature was recorded at 25.2 degrees Celsius, one notch below the average.
KUSI Newsroom KUSI Newsroom, Man arrested near Imperial Beach after threatening police with pickaxe Posted: March 18, 2018 March 18, 2018 SAN DIEGO (KUSI) — A man threw rocks at vehicles on Interstate 5 near Imperial Beach Sunday, and threatened police with a pickaxe as he ran into a riverbed.California Highway Patrol officers first tried to confront the man about 11:30 a.m. along the 5 Freeway near Palm Avenue, according to San Diego Police Department Officer Dino Delimitros. The area is within San Diego city limits.The man fled from officers to a nearby riverbed while brandishing a pickaxe, and San Diego police responded to assist.Police waited for the man to come out of the riverbed, and eventually he complied, dropping his axe in the water, Delimitros said.The man was taken into custody around 12:30 p.m. and is undergoing a mental evaluation, Delimitros said. Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter
KUSI Newsroom Attorney for abuse survivors calls for probe of San Diego Diocese Categories: California News, Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter KUSI Newsroom, November 9, 2018 00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave SettingsSAN DIEGO (KUSI) – An attorney who represents survivors of clergy sexual abuse is calling for an investigation of the San Diego Diocese. San Diego attorney Irwin Zalkin held a news conference on Thursday, accusing the diocese of trying to hide information about abusive priests.In August, the Pennsylvania Attorney General released a grand jury report that found more than 1,000 children in six Pennsylvania dioceses had been victimized by priests in cases dating back to 1947.Following the disclosures in Pennsylvania, the San Diego Diocese in September released a list of 51 priests in the San Diego and San Bernardino dioceses who had been credibly accused of abuse. However, Zalkin told reporters that he knows of at least 10 to 12 priests who abused children but are not included on the list.”We have clients that have been calling us since this list has come out and have been telling us, ‘Hey, my priest is not on this list.’ This is what happened to me,” Zalkin said.The attorney who negotiated a nearly $200 million settlement on behalf of 144 abuse survivors in 2007 believes the San Diego Diocese destroyed past records of predator priests and is continuing to cover up the broader scope of the clergy abuse scandal. He is calling on the California Attorney General to launch an investigation similar to the one in Pennsylvania to look into the internal records of the San Diego Diocese.He said an independent investigation is needed “because you cannot trust this diocese to be transparent.” Zalkin said the Church has decided to place more importance on protecting its reputation. “My view is that they are more concerned about protecting their “brand” than they really are about the protection of children and making it right.”The San Diego Diocese released a statement that read in part, “All accusations of priest misconduct are taken seriously. If anyone believes the published list is incomplete, they may contact the Diocese at (858) 490-8353.” Posted: November 9, 2018
BOSTON, MA — Below is an announcement from State Senator Bruce Tarr:I had the pleasure of introducing the members of the Wilmington High School Girls Soccer Team at [Thursday’s] Senate session. The team was recently named a recipient of the 2019 Eastern Massachusetts Girls Soccer Coaches Association Program of Excellence Award for their 2018 season. I am proud of the accomplishments they have achieved. It was a delight to provide them with a tour of the Senate Chamber.Accompanied by coaches Susan Hendee, Shane Kligerman, Erin Cowden, and Andrea McCullough, the team comprised Thea Alberti, Hailey Collins, Cassidy Collins, Gina Mastrorilli, Olivia Rourke, Tori Sheehan, Jessie Wargo, Aly Colantuoni, Madison Grace, Jessie McCullough, Alyssa Morrison, Annie Wingate, Amber Flynn, Tori Gemellaro, Samantha Papastathis, Jenna Sweeney, Kali Almeida, Amanda Broussard, Audrey Curdo, Alyssa Granara, Kaitlyn Maguire, Kayla Bourrell, and Joycelyn Palmer.Best wishes for a good summer and congratulations on your accomplishments on and off of the field.Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… RelatedTarr, Robertson & Gordon Secure $30,000 In State Funding For Wilmington Senior Center ImprovementsIn “Government”State Senator Bruce Tarr’s Bill Honors World War II Era Cadet NursesIn “Government”Wilmington High School Wins Eastern Mass. Girls Soccer Coaches Association’s Program Of Excellence AwardIn “Sports”
Bangladeshi immigrant Nina Ahmad has resigned as deputy mayor of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania to run for US Congress Cap: Nina Ahmad.Nina Ahmad is one of the strongest candidates among the Bangladeshi immigrants aspiring to join mainstream politics in the United States so far. Recently she resigned as deputy mayor of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania to run for Congress.Nina talked about her preparations for the Congress election during a conversation with Prothom Alo on Thursday. She resigned her post as deputy mayor on 30 September to contest in the election against Congressman Robert Brady, a current member of Democratic Party. She had to leave the post to be nominated in the Congress election. Nina Ahmad will contest as a Democrat member from congressional district-1, consisting Philadelphia City of Chester, a part of Central Philadelphia, and another part of south Philadelphia. If she wins in the primary stage, her chance of victory in the main election will be quite strong.Nina previously served on president’s ‘Advisory Commission of Asian-American and Pacific Islanders’ being appointed by former president Barack Obama. She resigned after Donald Trump has sworn as US president on 20 January this year. Congressman Robert Brady is the member of Democratic Party who has been under federal scrutiny in a case that snared his two top cohorts. So Brady’s candidacy in November election remains uncertain.On the other hand, Nina has been working in support of immigrants’ rights and respect for more than two decades. She is very popular among the black American, Asian, and Hispanic population. As 78 per cent of the residents of Philadelphia are Democrat supporters, Nina will certainly be at an advantage.Nina told Prothom Alo, “As an immigrant, a woman and a social activist, I am expecting support from people of all spheres.” She said she would start campaigning before Christmas. Earlier, Hashem Clark was the first Bangladeshi congressman in US from 2011 to 2013. Many other Bangladeshi immigrants have participated in the Congress election but never won. Nina Ahmad comparatively has the best chance to win so far.*This item, originally published in Prothom Alo online, has been rewritten in English by Farjana Liakat
Indian security forces personnel patrol a deserted street during restrictions after the government scrapped special status for Kashmir, in Srinagar 9 August, 2019. Photo: ReutersKashmir has nearly 180 English and Urdu daily newspapers, but only five are publishing these days due to restrictions imposed by Indian authorities to prevent unrest after New Delhi revoked the state’s autonomy.That is frustrating for the region’s journalists, many of whom are veterans of covering a long insurgency in Jammu and Kashmir and operating under prolonged curfews.”This is the biggest story of our generation and we haven’t been able to report it,” said Faisul Yaseen, associate editor of Rising Kashmir, one of the handful of newspaper groups that is still publishing.With phone lines and internet services suspended, six newspaper editors and journalists told Reuters they have no way to access wire reports or any outside online news sources, their district correspondents, and seek comment from government officials.Only five newspapers out of 174 dailies are now publishing, according to newspaper distributor Mansoor Ahmed, and they are being distributed within a 5-km radius of Lambert Lane, the main newspaper hub of the region, because of severe restrictions on movement, he said.Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s government imposed the blackout after it stripped Kashmir of its special status this week and broke up the state into two federal territories aiming to fully integrate the Muslim majority region.Officials said restrictions will slowly be lifted. The big concern is there could be large scale demonstrations against the decision to withdraw Kashmir’s special rights to frame its own laws and lifting of a ban on people from outside the region buying property.An Indian foreign ministry spokesman said there was no restriction on the press.”Nobody has been prohibited or stopped from publishing anything. Now, because of logistical constraints if they are not able to publish it is a different matter,” the spokesman said.Usually a 12-page edition, the Rising Kashmir English daily is now only bringing out four pages, much of it sourced from a few national TV news channels and four reporters who have living and working from Rising Kashmir’s office.The final layout of the paper is hand-delivered to the press on the outskirts of the city in the evening when movement restrictions in some parts are slightly relaxed.Two other Rising Kashmir newspapers – one in Urdu, another in Kashmiri – that the group publishes are suspended.Within Srinagar, reporters and photographers are finding it difficult to work without any passes to go through security checkpoints.Editors of two Urdu newspapers in Srinagar said they had ceased publication because of a lack of news sources, movement restrictions, and staff being unable to reach the newsroom.”Even in the worst of times, the press were given curfew passes,” said Morifat Qadri, executive editor of the Daily Afaaq, which usually prints 4,000 copies daily.”They don’t want that anybody covers the current situation,” he said.
Kolkata: The Directorate of Drugs Control (DDC) in the state on Wednesday issued a notification asking the manufacturers and wholesalers to take back the medicines stored in various shops at Bagree Market as they might have been damaged due to the excessive heat generated during the fire.The step has been taken as a precautionary measure to check the medicines from being sold in the markets. The DDC apprehends that the quality of these medicines might be reduced and compromised due to the raging blaze. Also Read – Rain batters Kolkata, cripples normal lifeThe DDC has urged the medicine sellers, both retail and wholesale, to stop selling the affected drugs and also the biological products. It was stated that many of the drugs that were kept inside Bagree Market need to be refrigerated. As there had been power cuts in the building since the incident took place, the medicines might have been damaged. If these medicines are circulated in the market, it might adversely affect the people.A senior official of the DDC said the temperature in the building had gone up as a result of which the quality of the medicines would be hampered. Hence all the manufacturing houses have been asked to withdraw the stock or stop operations. Also Read – Speeding Jaguar crashes into Mercedes car in Kolkata, 2 pedestrians killedThese medicines cannot be sold until the authorities ensure that the quality of the medicines remain intact. The DDC also assured that stern action will be taken against those who will be found violating the instructions.An official of the DDC said that as they are short-staffed, it is not always possible for them to conduct raids at various places. Hence the body is trying to check the spread of the drugs which were recovered by some of the businessmen there. It may be mentioned that there was a wholesale market of medicines within Bagree Market that used to supply medicines in different places. It had the wholesale market of various important drugs including those of cancer and people used to obtain such medicines at much cheaper rates.It was learnt that around 25 wholesale shops were there in the market many of which have been damaged. The extent of the damage is yet to be ascertained as all the electronic gadgets that maintained the records have been gutted. Bengal Chemist and Druggist Association added that the devastating fire that took place at Bagree Market on Sunday will have no major impact on the supply of medicines in the state.