Heading into playoffs, Badgers peaking at right time

first_imgSophomore forward Michael Mersch has complimented the 10 points Mark Zengerle has scored the past five games, scoring eight points of his own with four assists and four goals in that span.[/media-credit]Just three weeks ago, the sun was setting quite early on the 2011-12 Wisconsin men’s hockey season. The Badgers had just dropped their fifth straight game, falling nearly to the bottom of the WCHA cellar with just lowly Alaska Anchorage dangling below them.After being eliminated from top six contention in the WCHA standings for a first round home playoff series, Wisconsin begrudgingly extended its losing streak to five games, at the hands of Denver in the Kohl Center and hit rock bottom. But apparently new life can be found in the eleventh hour for a team that never quit despite a series of hard-fought battles that failed to yield the positive results the Badgers had been searching for.“A month ago we were still trying to get home ice,” sophomore forward Michael Mersch said. “I think it was St. Cloud that things kind of fell apart, but we picked ourselves up from them, we realized we were going to have to go on the road and those road wins against Bemidji [State] and Minnesota helped us become a more confident team.”Suddenly, UW reeled off four consecutive victories, a game two win against Denver and three straight road games with a sweep over Bemidji State and a game one victory at No. 5 Minnesota, before Minnesota rallied in the third period of game two to halt Wisconsin’s streak Saturday.“I would argue that we played some good hockey before we had that big game against Denver,” UW head coach Mike Eaves said. “Everything came together by us scoring five goals and timely goals, but we played well in Mankato [against St. Cloud State]; we could have won both games. We played competitive up at North Dakota and then Denver at home, and Friday we weren’t very good, but Saturday [we won 5-2]. We have been doing good things for a while, and it came together that Saturday against Denver and we’ve been able to carry that on.”With the drastic change in results, the level of confidence Wisconsin is portraying increased dramatically. Immediately after the fifth consecutive loss, the players appeared to be as low as they had all season. For a team that started the season 1-8-1 on the road, a road playoff series was the last thing the Badgers were looking forward to. Now, they can’t wait.“The confidence plays a big factor,” Mersch said. “When we played Denver at home we kind of got a feel for them and what they play like. The win we had against them Saturday night was a big confidence boost for us.”Sophomore center Mark Zengerle lead the Badgers in points this season and also has been the primary catalyst during Wisconsin’s last five games, tallying 10 points on two goals and eight assists over that stretch.But it hasn’t been all about one or two individuals. Seventeen different players have scored points over the recent impressive streak.“We’re a pretty close team, and I think everyone has just been playing their part and wanting to win,” Zengerle said. “You get down to the end of the season and start looking and there is no, ‘Oh well. We’ve got next weekend.’ You are playing for your season and playing for your life out there.”Mersch too has put together a remarkable string of games, scoring eight points, second-most to Zengerle over that time, and says that working on the power play with Zengerle has helped boost the level of his game.“I think our power play is finding its niche, and I have been playing with Zengerle a little bit, so that obviously helps because he is a point getter and he produces offense,” Mersch said. “Things are just coming together at the right time and not just for me individually. Tyler [Barnes] has a great weekend in Minnesota, Mark almost has 50 points this year, obviously Justin [Schultz] is contributing and has been all season, but things are just starting to come together, and we’re getting some goals and points from our back line guys.The Badgers have said all season long that they felt like the team was a lot better than their record indicated. As the WCHA playoffs begin Friday, perhaps Wisconsin’s opening round matchup, Denver, and others will start to recognize that and fear a potential series with the Badgers.“We have talked since day one about being a championship caliber team,” Eaves said. “Now, there are certain elements that those championship-caliber teams have and we have been pushing for that all year. We’re closer to that now. Are we there? Only if we go on an unbelievable run, but that is why you play the game. That is what makes basketball crazy in March, you get the Cinderella teams, and we certainly fall in that category right now.”last_img read more

Conference tied to Iowa bike official features his new ride

first_imgCORALVILLE, Iowa (AP) — A nonprofit controlled by the former director of a popular annual Iowa bike ride is hosting a conference that features the rival event that he launched this month.T.J. Juskiewicz was director of the ride known as RAGBRAI until he and his staff resigned from the Des Moines Register, which has operated and marketed the ride since the 1970s.They immediately launched Iowa’s Ride and scheduled it for the same week and format as RAGBRAI. The move has divided cyclists and is threatening the future of a cherished state tradition.Business filings show Juskiewicz and his wife last year formed the Iowa Festivals and Events Association. That group, which lists Juskiewicz as president, is hosting its first conference Tuesday and Wednesday in Coralville for more than 100 festival planners. Iowa’s Ride is among the featured vendors.Juskiewicz and his Iowa’s Ride staff are among the speakers at the conference, which he calls a great “networking opportunity.” He says the nonprofit hopes to break even on the conference and is temporarily sponsoring Iowa’s Ride until a foundation is set up.last_img read more

Officials Help 20 Suspected Human Trafficking Victims in Super Bowl Crackdown

first_img“Trafficking survivors and other experts had previously warned us that our community would attract human traffickers that look to take advantage of the economic impact and influx of visitors produced by the Super Bowl itself,” State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle says. “That is why we joined forces with local, state and federal agencies and community organizations to tackle this threat successfully as one team”.Out of the five human trafficking charges filed against individuals, three of them were filed as federal crimes, while the other two were filed as violations of Florida law, the Miami-Dade State Attorney says. Eight buyers, or “Johns,” as well as 34 accomplices were also arrested on human trafficking charges. Law enforcement officials were prepared to address the human trafficking issue during Super Bowl week, and those efforts paid off.According to the Miami-Dade State Attorney, authorities recovered 20 suspected human trafficking victims during Super Bowl LIV. Four of those victims said they lived in Miami-Dade or Broward counties, although the remainder said they were from other states and four foreign countries.The Miami-Dade State Attorney’s Human Trafficking Task Force, the U.S. Attorney’s Office, the FBI, Homeland Security Investigations, the Miami-Dade, Miami Beach and City of Miami Police Departments, as well as other local law enforcement agencies, the local Super Bowl Host Committee and the Women’s Fund Miami-Dade partnered in order to prevent potential human trafficking activities in the days leading up to and after the big game.last_img read more

Bus driver reportedly attacks passenger for not wearing a face mask

first_imgOfficials in Homestead have arrested a bus driver after he reportedly attacked a passenger with a metal rod when the passenger took off his face mask while on the bus.The incident occurred on Wednesday at a bus stop in Key Largo just after 7:00 pm.Deputies with the Monroe County Sheriff’s office said the victim told them he initially entered the bus wearing the required protective gear, however, he removed his face mask to take a phone call and did not put it back on. The victim says when he stop arrived, he exited the bus and that’s when the bus driver Denys Santos, used a metal rod to point at a sign about face mask requirements.At that point, Santos and the victim got into an argument. The victim then exited the bus but Santos followed him and took a swing at the victim with the metal rod.Santos then got back on the bus and drove off but pulled over a short while where he was arrested.Santos is now facing aggravated assault charges.The Miami-Dade County Department of Transportation and Public Works  has since released the following statement about the incident:“The safety of our staff and passengers is always our number one priority and we take this type of incident very seriously. For this reason, we have asked Safeguard America Transportation, the private transportation company that runs our bus route from Miami-Dade to Monroe County, to remove Mr. Denys Santos from the contract while this incident is under investigation.”“We do not condone the alleged actions by Santos, and we will continue to work closely with our contractors to ensure they are implementing the highest safety and operational standards while under contract for Miami-Dade County.”last_img read more

Two new caps in squad as England seek to end European drought

first_img18 Jun 2012 Two new caps in squad as England seek to end European drought England Golf will parade two new caps in their six-strong squad as they seek to bridge an eight-year gap without a victory in the annual European Boys Team Championships at Lidingo Golf Club near Stockholm in Sweden on 10th – 14th July. The newcomers to boys international golf are Nick Marsh (Huddersfield, Yorkshire) and Ashton Turner (Kenwick Park, Lincolnshire), while the other four members of the team will be Matthew Fitzpatrick (Hallamshire, Yorkshire), Patrick Kelly (Boston West, Lincolnshire), Max Orrin (North Foreland, Kent) and Toby Tree (Worthing, Sussex). The non-travelling reserve is Harrison Greenberry (Exeter G&CC, Devon). Marsh (image © Tom Ward) is the current leader of the Titleist/FootJoy England Golf Boys Order of Merit following joint second place in the McEvoy Trophy and equal third in the Fairhaven Trophies, while Turner, fifth on the Merit list, was also third at Fairhaven. The inclusion of Turner means he steps up from an under 16 international last year when he was also an England schools cap. Fitzpatrick finished runner-up in last year’s Titleist/FootJoy Boys Order of Merit following a second place in the England Boys Under 18 Championship for the Carris Trophy, reaching the quarter finals of the British Boys and as joint winner of the Junior County Champions Tournament. A former under 16 international, he became a boy cap in last year’s Boys Home Internationals in Wales and has won this year’s Selborne Salver and finished second on countback for the Hampshire Salver. Kelly, currently second on the Merit list, also made his debut as a boy cap in last year’s Boys Home Internationals, having finished runner-up to Greenberry in the British Boys. Another former under 16 cap, he won the Fairhaven Trophy last month. Orrin made his debut in last year’s European Boys Championship in the Czech Republic after stepping up from an under 16 international. Runner-up in the English under 16 Championship for the McGregor Trophy in 2010, he was equally successful last year, winning the Andalucia Junior Open in Spain, finishing second in the Darwin Salver and third in the Fairhaven Trophy. This year, he was again second in the Darwin Salver but has recorded two significant victories, winning the prestigious Thunderbird International Junior in Arizona and the Kent Championship. He was also tied fourth in the South East of England Links Championship. Tree returns to boys international golf after making his full England debut against France last month, winning two of his four games. Winner of the Sir Henry Cooper Junior Masters last year, he also tasted victory in South Africa over the winter, winning the Gauteng North Open. A former Sussex Boys champion, he has the distinction of winning the English under 14 Championship in 2008 then the under 16 title in 2010. He also finished runner-up in last year’s North of England under 16 Championship. England has not won the Boys European title since 2004 in Finland and will want to improve on eighth place in 2010 and 11th last year.last_img read more

England’s volunteer course raters are just champion!

first_img Tags: Course rating, The Colony Golf Club, Vienna, Volunteer An England Golf team of volunteer course raters proved they are on top of their game when they beat off a challenge from over 20 other European countries.Karen Hearn, from Warwickshire, Rosemary Rice of Surrey, Jackie Keay of Hampshire and Mark Ward of Kent represented England at course rating seminar in Vienna, attended by teams from countries and golf associations across Europe.They came out on top when all the teams undertook a series of tasks to show how each country rates and evaluates the golf courses under its jurisdiction and how that compares to the master rating, set by the United States Golf Association.Gemma Hunter, England Golf Handicap and Course Rating Manager, remarked: “Our course rating teams are very knowledgeable and we were absolutely delighted to prove this to the rest of Europe!”England Golf has over 70 volunteer teams who rate the courses at its 1900+ affiliated clubs, giving them a standard scratch score which is used for handicapping purposes.The seminar was hosted by the Austrian Golf Federation at The Colony Golf Club, Vienna and led by Scott Hovde, the USGA Assistant Director of handicap and Course Rating.The volunteers also managed to squeeze in some sight-seeing time during their trip. 22 Jun 2018 England’s volunteer course raters are just champion! last_img read more

The Ashes: England taunt Australia with huge Ben Stokes billboard at Manchester

first_imgAdvertisement 282NBA Finals | Brooklyn Vsg7uWingsuit rodeo📽Sindre E3je( IG: @_aubreyfisher @imraino ) 7mnWould you ever consider trying this?😱ky4Can your students do this? 🌚9iRoller skating! Powered by Firework The Australian cricket team have been trolled ahead of their Fourth Ashes Test with a giant billboard saying ‘Welcome to Manchester’ outside their hotel. The image features the famous spread-armed celebration by Ben Stokes after he hit the winning four runs for England to seal a comeback in the Third Test. The all-rounder with his unbeaten 135 not only turned the table for his side in the test but also rescued England in the series, after they were buried with a first-innings total of just 67.Advertisement While his effort is being described by some as the greatest ever Test innings by an Englishman, Bookies Ladbrokes, a British agency took the feat to a new level. They put up this cheeky signboard outside the Malmaison Hotel, where the Aussies are lodging.Advertisement “Ben Stokes’ final innings at Headingley was the stuff of legend, so we thought it was only right to honour it ahead of the fourth test,” Jessica O’Reilly of Ladbrokes said.“Thankfully we found a spot just yards away from the Australian team’s hotel to give them a timely reminder. Hopefully our little sledge will help get England over the line and on the road to victory.”Advertisement The sign though, has been inspired from the infamous banner which was erected in the city when Manchester City football club signed Carlos Tevez from their trophy-laden rivals United.  Advertisementlast_img read more

Classy Real Madrid turn Santiago Bernabeu into medical storage facility to help in Coronavirus…

first_imgAdvertisement 3ep0puNBA Finals | Brooklyn Vsca8zWingsuit rodeo📽Sindre E3gnuyb( IG: @_aubreyfisher @imraino ) 1p64h1Would you ever consider trying this?😱ih4epCan your students do this? 🌚5zzpRoller skating! Powered by Firework Estadio Santiago Bernabeu, the home-ground of Real Madrid will be used as a centre for medical supplies in the fight against coronavirus, the club announced on Thursday. Madrid, the country’s capital is one of the worst-hit areas by the Covid-19 pandemic, with more than 17,166 positive cases as of now and over 2,000 deaths so far.Advertisement As Spain continue to grapple with the coronavirus crisis, the number of new cases rose to over 8,744 on Monday; the second-worst in the continent after Italy. The Spanish ministers earlier declared a state of emergency which has shut down much of the country and are likely to extend the initial 15-day period lockdown.Advertisement And with medical facilities in the capital struggling to cope, the Los Blancos have opened up their stadium to ease the burden during these testing times.“Real Madrid Club de Fútbol, in collaboration with the High Council for Sport (CSD), has launched a project in Madrid to supply and distribute strategic medical supplies to be used in the battle against the COVID-19 pandemic,” the club announced on their website.Advertisement “As a result of the close collaboration between the two institutions, the Santiago Bernabeu will offer a space that is equipped to store the donations of medical supplies required in the fight against this pandemic.”  “All of the stored supplies will be passed on to the Spanish health authorities, under the authority of the Spanish government, so that the resources, so necessary in the current health emergency situation, are employed in the best and most efficient manner.As part of the initiative, organisations and businesses will also be given a space for donations,” the club added.“Real Madrid will provide a facility for organisations and businesses, particularly those belonging to the sports sector, to leave money or material donations that they wish to make to the Ministry of Health,” they stated in a press release.Meanwhile, four Bundesliga clubs, Borussia Dortmund, Bayern Munich, RB Leipzig and Bayer Leverkusen have combinedly donated over €20million as part of a solidarity fund to help German clubs in the top two tiers during the coronavirus pandemic.These four clubs, who were Germany’s initial Champions League representatives this season, will share most of their media revenue, which equates to around €12.5m, while adding a further €7.5 on their own.You may also like:Huge update on Wimbledon 2020 amidst Coronavirus pandemicFootball helps out: Players and teams who have done charity to aid the Coronavirus crisis Advertisementlast_img read more