SP grills MORE Power; No immediate relief from brownouts

first_img“I understand kon nga-a kinahanglan ang 13-hour brownout pero medyo masakit gid sa buot ta…I hope (this won’t be) often kay mabudlay gid, especially now that we are starting online schooling for our children. It’s very difficult for me and to many more consumers,” said Tupas. Such hours of brownouts, he said, were “close to double the outage durations of PECO in the same period last year.” He stressed the importance of Iloilo City having sufficient and reliable power service. This is one of the things investors check, he said. An executive of PECO attended the committee investigation. Mikel Afzelius said power interruptions such as the recent 13-hour brownout in Mandurriao district “cannot be taken in isolation.” Councilor Candice Tupas urged MORE Power to manage the brownouts in such a way that these won’t cause so much inconvenience. The grilling of MORE Power was an “investigation in aid of legislation” of the SP committee on public utilities chaired by Councilor Romel Duron. The series of long brownouts triggered it. “But there’s a commitment we made. We committed P1.9 billion to rehabilitate and upgrade,” said Castro.  According to MORE Power president and chief executive officer Roel Castro, it may take around three more years before the city finally gets to see “good improvement” in the power distribution service. “We are interested on how much your company is going to invest in Iloilo City. When we say invest there’s a program of expenditures for the first year, second year, third year, and fourth year (that can meet) the development(s) in the city,” said Peñaredondo. Sangguniang Panlalawigan (SP) members grilled MORE Electric and Power Corp. (MORE Power) yesterday over the long power interruptions inconveniencing the city. The “mode of complying with that is to take over (the facilities) then rehabilitate because the contemplation of the law has always been that,” he said. Castro said, “To rehabilitate and to make the system reliable is not an overnight thing…It will take time…at least in the next three years.” Castro said MORE Power’s franchise law, Republic Act 11212, allows expropriation to ensure continuity of electric service. For his part, Councilor Ely Estante said MORE Power should have erected its own power distribution facilities instead of just using those of the previous power distributor, Panay Electric Co. (PECO) which MORE Power itself considered defective, ill-maintained and outdated. Councilor Eduardo Peñaredondo did not hide his dismay. “The 13-hour power outage on June 20 in Mandurriao, based on information provided by MORE Power itself, was something that could have been fixed in 30 minutes, at most an hour,” Afzelius added. The most senior SP member said MORE should have a development plan. ILOILO City – Residents and business establishments here may have to wait for three more years before their wish for a better power distribution service comes true. MORE Power secured a franchise from Congress to be the sole power distributor in Iloilo City. The franchise law was signed by President Rodrigo Duterte on Feb. 14, 2019. “So far in the very brief period that MORE Power has been operating — based on their declared outages alone, and we’re not even talking about undeclared ones – there have been a total of 326 hours Iloilo City was plunged into darkness. We have to let that sink in — 326 hours of suffering for our people,” said Afzelius. “Which is more beneficial, expropriate PECO’s facilities or get new ones? If you have your own new facilities, there is low maintenance. If you utilize the facilities of PECO used 50 years ago daku ang maintenance,” said Estante. In other words, he said, around 10,000 households could have been spared “from those 13 hours of torture having no electricity.” “You cannot supply the ordinary, usual (power) consumption we have because you have not put up any substations,” he said. “How could you make life more comfortable sa mga Ilonggos kon frequent ang brownouts,” Vice Mayor Jeffrey Ganzon, the SP presiding officer, pointedly said. PECO, the city’s power distributor for over 95 years, failed to secure a franchise extension from Congress. Its franchise ended on Jan. 19, 2019./PNlast_img read more

Wine for Wheels to be held Saturday

first_imgGREENSBURG, Ind. — Wine for Wheels sponsored by Greensburg Meals on Wheels is tomorrow from 4 to 8 PM at the Greensburg Knights of Columbus Hall.Tickets are available at the door for $30 per person.All proceeds benefit Greensburg Meals on Wheels.last_img

Former Syracuse football coach Scott Shafer to return to Carrier Dome Sept. 9 as MTSU’s defensive coordinator

first_img Published on January 20, 2017 at 10:06 am Contact Matthew: mguti100@syr.edu | @MatthewGut21 Facebook Twitter Google+ Former Syracuse football head coach Scott Shafer will return to the Carrier Dome on Sept. 9 as defensive coordinator for Middle Tennessee State.Shafer served as SU’s head coach from 2013-15, finishing 14-23. He was hired to replace Doug Marrone at the end of the 2012 season after the Orange won its second Pinstripe Bowl in three years. Before taking over as Syracuse’s head coach, Shafer served four years as the school’s defensive coordinator. He was fired in November 2015 with one game remaining.center_img AdvertisementThis is placeholder textJust under four months after Shafer was hired as the defensive coordinator at Maryland, he stepped down due to personal reasons. After taking 2016 off from coaching, he will return to the college football landscape this fall.When Shafer returns to the Dome, Syracuse will play its first ever Conference USA opponent, Middle Tennessee State. The MTSU contest is one of four non-conference games Syracuse has scheduled in 2017 and comes one week before the Orange host Central Michigan on Sept. 16 and two weeks before SU visits Louisiana State on Sept. 23. The full 2017 schedule has not yet been released.SU will play Atlantic Coast Conference foes Boston College, Clemson, Pittsburgh and Wake Forest at home in 2017. On the road, the Orange will play Florida State, Louisville, Miami and North Carolina State.In March, Syracuse men’s basketball advanced to the Sweet 16 with a 75-50 win over the MTSU Blue Raiders. Commentslast_img read more

Donald Sterling backtracks on selling Clippers

first_imgThe NBA will have to fight to rip the LA Clippers from owner Donald Sterling, who said Tuesday he will not willingly sell his basketball team.League Commissioner Adam Silver banned Sterling from the NBA for life today and hit him with a $2.5million fine after the 80-year-old was heard making racist statements on audio recordings with his mistress. The ban and fine were the harshest punishment Silver could take out against Sterling.While Silver can’t personally force Sterling to sell his team, the NBA Board of Governors can and he advised the conglomerate of team owners to do so at the press conference.But just before Silver spoke, Sterling told Fox that the team wasn’t on the market and with an estimated net worth of $1.9billion, the fine is unlikely to force Sterling to sell if he really wants to keep his team. Only a three-quarters vote from the Board of Governors could do that, and there’s already been an outpouring of support from team owners on the plan.According to Paragraph 13 of the NBA Constitution, 23 of the 29 owners would have to vote Sterling out in order to force him to sell.The order was announced Tuesday afternoon at a long-awaited press conference where the head of the NBA revealed their official punishment for the LA Clippers owner. ‘Mr. Sterling may not attend any NBA games or practices. He may not be present at any Clippers facility. He may not participate in any business or player personnel decisions involving the team. He will also be barred from attending NBA Board of Governors meetings or participating in any other league activity,’ the league’s commissioner Adam Silver said Tuesday. He ‘may not attend NBA games or practices. He may not be present at any Clippers facility.’Silver said he will ‘urge the Board of Governors… to force a sale of the team and will do everything in my power to make sure that happens’.Every team in the league responded to the press conference, with either statements posted on their websites or tweets from managing owners.The comments were overwhelmingly in favor of Silver’s decision, but ranged from general statements to more passionate calls to action.’The views expressed by Mr. Sterling are deeply offensive and harmful,’ Silver said. The announcement came after three days of speculation following the release of a recording where Sterling is heard berating his mixed-race girlfriend for bringing black people to basketball games.Silver, who is only three months into his role as the NBA Commissioner, said that the NBA quickly launched an investigation into the tape when it was released on Saturday morning and that they interviewed the 80-year-old owner.He confirmed that it became clear that the voice on the tape ‘(was) Mr Sterling and that the hateful opinions voiced by that man are those of Mr Sterling.”I was hoping somehow that it was fraudulent or had been doctored,’ Silver said.When asked if Sterling apologized or showed any remorse for his racist comments, Silver said: ‘Mr Sterling has not expressed those views directly to me.’ The fine will be donated to organizations dedicated to anti-discrimination and tolerance efforts that will be jointly selected by the NBA and the Players Association, Silver said.The indefinite suspension and hefty fine are two of the harshest punishments that the NBA is allowed to levy against the owner, and they were met with immediate praise.’Commissioner Silver showed great leadership in banning LA Clippers owner Donald Sterling for life,’ Magic Johnson wrote on his Twitter account shortly after the announcement.’Former and current NBA players are very happy and satisfied with Commissioner Silver’s ruling.’Johnson’s thoughts were particularly relevant since he was at the center of the scandal: the recorded conversation focused on a problem Sterling had with his girlfriend posing for photos with the former LA Lakers star. ‘Now the Clippers players and fans can concentrate on the game tonight against the Warriors with Commissioner Silver’s decision,’ he wrote.’Current and former NBA players now know that in Commissioner Adam Silver we have a great leader leading our league.’Now let’s hope that the other 29 owners do the right thing.’The people who I’m happiest for are Coach Doc Rivers, the Clippers players and fans.’last_img read more

Džeko might become Borussia Dortmund’s replacement for Lewandowski

first_imgAfter a frustrating time at Manchester City, Edin Džeko might finally cut his losses and seal a move to German giants Borussia Dortmud. While Džeko has been scoring plenty of goals this season, he has not been starting a lot of games.With Dortmund’s main striker Robert Lewandowski likely to seal a move to Bayern Munich or Manchester United in the summer, Džeko would be the perfect replacement. While he may not be as quick as Lewandowski, he is certainly a deadly finisher both in the air and with his feet.Despite being well off the pace in the league this season, Dortmund have been on an upward trajectory under manager Jurgen Klopp. They will not want to see Lewandowski‘s departure derail this good work. Signing Džeko would be the perfect move for them.The only snag to the move would be Džeko’s wages. If he is to get a move to Germany and get the first team football he wants, he will have to take a pay cut on his huge £120,000 a week salary. The transfer could cost Dortmund between 15 to 20 million EUR.last_img read more