Scammer bilks company out of 236G

An employee unwittingly sent a large amount of money out the door, costing a local business nearly $250,000.April 16, an employee in the accounting department received an email from someone claiming to be the CEO of a company supplier in the United States.The email asked for immediate payment of an outstanding invoice. A total of $236,000 was transferred. When that happened, the local firm received a second email from the same source asking for payment of another invoice.At this point, the local employee became suspicious and brought the matter to the attention of a supervisor. An in-house investigation determined that the supplier’s email had been hacked and used to divert funds.“The ‘CEO scam’ starts when a criminal poses as the company’s president or owner using a fake or hacked email account,” Const. Ed Sanchuk, spokesperson for the Norfolk OPP, said Friday in a news release.“The ‘owner’ writes directly to an employee that is responsible for arranging payments or transfers of funds to suppliers. The invoice which was originally sent is, in fact, a fake. It will look just like the owner’s regular email, sent directly to someone responsible for issuing payment, making that person believe they have received a legitimate request to pay an invoice.”Norfolk OPP offer the following tips to avoid being scammed in this manner:Educate employees about this scam and tell them to be skeptical of urgent or suspicious requests made by email. Encourage employees to always communicate with managers if they feel a request seems unusual or suspicious. If anyone has any doubts about an email that appears to be from someone at your company, immediately contact that person by phone before responding. Have policies and procedures in place requiring more than one person to approve the transfer of funds. Watch what you share on-line. This information can be used to gain information about you. That in turn can be used to target your company. Anyone with information regarding this scam is encouraged to contact the Norfolk OPP at 1-888-310-1122.Anonymous tips can also be left at Crime Stoppers of Haldimand and Norfolk at 1-800-222-8477. Callers to Crime Stoppers who help solve a crime are eligible for a cash reward of up to $2,000.MSonnenberg@postmedia.com read more

Coco Gauff British support carried me through says star as she thanks

“I wasn’t feeling 100% today. I still tried my best,” she said after the match.  “I went to the doctor. I’m supposed to be coming back tomorrow to figure that out. But I don’t think I was tired because of the matches. I honestly think something must have just came in the past weekend. We’ll see what it was tomorrow.”Gauff, who became the youngest player to reach the fourth round at Wimbledon since the 14-year-old American Jennifer Capriati achieved the feat in 1990, said she hoped people would remember her for “being a fighter”.Britain’s Joanna Konta managed to secure her place in the quarter finals after beating sixth seed Petra Kvitova on Centre Court yesterday. Want the best of The Telegraph direct to your email and WhatsApp? Sign up to our free twice-daily  Front Page newsletter and new  audio briefings. Cori “Coco” Gauff’s Wimbledon fairytale ended today as she crashed out of the Championships – but she said that the overwhelming support from the British public carried her through.The 15-year-old American school girl lost her fourth round clash with seventh seed Simona Halep yesterday after suffering from stomach cramps. Gauff said she was “really surprised” at the support she received whilst in the UK, adding: “You don’t really expect this kind of support when you’re in another country, not your home country. “I really did feel like I was probably playing in New York. I’m just really happy that people believe in me.”Flanked by her parents, Gauff won the hearts of the nation after beating Venus Williams in the first round last week, ensuring that the entire crowd was behind her for the rest of the tournament.Struggling to hide his excitement that Gauff became a household name during the British grand slam, Wimbledon CEO Richard Lewis yesterday told journalists that “a star has been born”.But the American schoolgirl’s astonishing success in SW19 came to an end after she clearly showed signs of feeling unwell on the court, but it was not clear what from. read more