Horrific Limerick nightmare draws to a close for those left behind

first_imgTwitter TAGSAskeatonJulia Holmeslimerickthomas ruttle Previous articleLimerick inquest told of suicide pact as past caught up with fraudsterNext articleFestival of fire and water Staff Reporterhttp://www.limerickpost.ie Limerick’s National Camogie League double header to be streamed live Predictions on the future of learning discussed at Limerick Lifelong Learning Festival NewsHorrific Limerick nightmare draws to a close for those left behindBy Staff Reporter – April 29, 2016 1102 Facebook Advertisement Email Linkedincenter_img Billy Lee names strong Limerick side to take on Wicklow in crucial Division 3 clash RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Limerick Artist ‘Willzee’ releases new Music Video – “A Dream of Peace” Print WATCH: “Everyone is fighting so hard to get on” – Pat Ryan on competitive camogie squads Pauline Knight speaking to the Media at Newcastle West Court House after in inquest into the death of Thomas Ruttle and Julia Holmes in Askeaton, Limerick in 2015Picture Credit Brian Gavin Press 22THE HORRIFIC nightmare that two teenage boys woke up to on May 18, 2015 is finally at an end after details of the gruesome circumstances surrounding their father’s death in Limerick were read out at a coroners court.Ian Knight (18) and his brother Kelvin (15), sat side by side at Newcastle West coroner’s court during the inquest hearing into the deaths of Thomas Ruttle and his partner Julia Holmes.Coroner, Antoinette Simon said she hoped the hearing would bring closure to the two boys and the extended family.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Their father’s death had become a national obsession after his body was found alongside that of the serial fraudster who had seemingly coerced him into ending his life in a bizarre suicide pact that she felt was the only way to bring an end to the international police hunt that was closing in on her.How the well regarded Thomas Ruttle, a gifted carpenter, mechanic and beekeeper, ended up with Julia Holmes is still a mysteryShe had up to 40 known aliases. She served time in a US penitentiary. She was the subject of an FBI probe. She was on the PSNI wanted list after she jumped bail on an £18,000 fraud and the Gardai were also on her trail.The manner in which the Ruttle and Knight families endured their own nightmare was a testament to their dignity and decency.Intimate details of the life and death of Thomas Ruttle were laid bare in the cold surrounds of a West Limerick courthouse.Julia Holmes may have died alongside Thomas Ruttle, but she was very much on her own in the memory of those she left behind. There was no one to claim her remains. No family members attended the inquest in to her death.They were left behind when she abandoned her only son 40 years ago when he was just an infant.Speaking after the coroner’s verdict, the grandparents of Mr Ruttle’s teenage sons said they hoped the inquest may bring some sort of closure to what has been an horrific period in their lives.Ted and Pauline Knight, whose daughter Lian was previously in a relationship with Thomas Ruttle, said they hoped their grandsons would be able to rebuild their lives.“I think they were in shock and today I think clarified a lot of stuff for them. I think now they understand things a little better than they did I think, and they can get on with their lives now,” Mr Knight said.The couple, who ran a marina in Dromineer, Co Tipperary, described Thomas Ruttle who previously worked for them, as a “quiet man”.“He was a carpenter and he was a mechanic and he had wonderful hands. He was a very quiet unassuming man – an absolute gentleman,” he said.When asked how Mr Ruttle had been taken in by Julia Holmes, he replied: “They owed a lot of money, we hear that, we don’t know”.He said they never met Julia Holmes “thanks be to God”.It is understood that Mr Ruttle had become estranged from his family when he began his relationship with the 63-year-old fraudster.“We never wanted to meet her,” they said.Leaving the court house the grandparents said their focus was now on their grandsons and helping them close what has been undoubtedly a very difficult chapter in their young lives.“Hopefully this will close it for them”, Mr Knight said. WhatsApp Limerick Ladies National Football League opener to be streamed live last_img read more

Rotem Rosen wins round in fight with Alex Sapir over Tamir Sapir’s estate

first_img Email Address* Tags Alex SapirReal Estate Lawsuitsrotem rosensapir organizationtamir sapir Message* Rotem Rosen and Alex Sapir (Getty, iStock)Rotem Rosen has won the most recent courtroom skirmish in the protracted war for more than $100 million of the estate of his former father-in-law, the late Tamir Sapir.The dispute, now in its second year in New York Surrogate’s Court, was nearly settled last year. But then the late real estate titan’s son and executor of his will, Alex Sapir, reversed course at the eleventh hour. His lawyers filed a motion for summary judgment that effectively asked the court to make a final ruling on Rosen’s claim. At the time, Sapir’s legal team was hopeful the court would dismiss it.This week, more than a year later, the court declined to do so. Instead, Judge Rita Mella agreed with Rosen’s legal counsel, ordering that discovery proceed “to allow Rosen to discover facts to justify his defense.”ADVERTISEMENTRead more Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on LinkedinShare via Email Share via Shortlinkcenter_img Rotem Rosen seeks $103M from Tamir Sapir’s estateAlex Sapir accused of mismanaging family fortune amid feud with Rotem RosenAlex Sapir moves to dismiss Rotem Rosen’s $100M lawsuit Share via Shortlink Full Name* Rosen’s attorney, Sheron Korpus of Kasowitz Benson Torres, described the court’s decision as gratifying after his client “devoted years” to repositioning assets within the estate “based on agreements and promises of compensation which the estate now seeks to avoid.”At the heart of the case is Rosen’s claim that he’s owed $103 million of the elder Sapir’s estate. He claims that is compensation for the work he did for the family’s real estate empire despite the alleged mismanagement of the family fortune by the younger Sapir.In court documents, Sapir denied Rosen’s allegations and called them a tactic to “extort a favorable outcome” in his divorce proceedings. Months earlier, Rosen’s wife, Zina Sapir — Alex’s sister — filed for divorce.Sapir’s attorney, Terrence Oved of Oved & Oved, said he remains confident discovery will confirm the “frivolous nature” of Rosen’s allegations and “place the inevitable dismissal of Rosen’s claims on even firmer legal footing.”The case is one of three legal disputes between the former business partners and brothers-in-law.Last summer, Sapir, in his capacity as CEO of the Sapir Organization, initiated its own $100 million suit against Rosen, alleging he and his brother worked to siphon tens of millions of dollars and proprietary information from the company.Days later, Rosen filed another lawsuit against Sapir. In that claim, he alleged Sapir defaulted on a $60 million promissory note connected to Rosen’s 2017 buyout, which marked the start of the end of their relationship.Contact Erin Hudsonlast_img read more

Looking Star Jonathan Groff to Finish Off-Broadway Run of Hamilton

first_img View Comments Related Shows Hamilton (Off-Broadway) Show Closed This production ended its run on May 3, 2015 Jonathan Groff How’s this for a royal entrance? Jonathan Groff will assume the role of King George in Hamilton off-Broadway beginning March 3, taking over for Tony nominee Brian d’Arcy James, who leaves to star in Broadway’s Something Rotten. The Public Theater production will conclude its run on May 3.The musical, written by and starring Lin-Manuel Miranda, recently announced that it will play Broadway’s Richard Rodgers Theatre this summer following its off-Broadway run. Performances are scheduled to begin on July 13. Groff is not currently confirmed for the show’s Broadway run.Groff won three Broadway.com Audience Choice Awards and was nominated for a Tony Award for playing Melchoir in the Broadway musical hit Spring Awakening. For the Public Theater, he previously starred in Hair at the Delacorte Theatre in Central Park and The Bacchae. Other off-Broadway credits include The Submission, The Singing Forest and Prayer for My Enemy. He was also see in Deathtrap in London’s West End and Red at the Mark Taper Forum in Los Angeles. This summer, he will headline William Finn’s A New Brain at City Center. He can currently be seen in the second season of the gay-themed drama Looking on HBO.Directed by Thomas Kail, Hamilton is inspired by the book Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow. The new musical follows the scrappy young immigrant who forever changed America, from bastard orphan to Washington’s right hand man, rebel to war hero, loving husband caught in the country’s first sex scandal to Treasury head who made an untrusting world believe in the American economy.In addition to Miranda, the cast includes Christopher Jackson as George Washington, Leslie Odom Jr. as Aaron Burr, Phillipa Soo as Eliza Hamilton, Anthony Ramos as John Laurens/Phillip Hamilton, Daveed Diggs as Marquis De Lafayette/Thomas Jefferson and Renée Elise Goldsberry as Angelica Schuyler. Star Fileslast_img read more

CTO’s Communication Specialist to facilitate media workshop in Dominica

first_img Tweet Sharing is caring! Share Share 26 Views   no discussionscenter_img LocalNews CTO’s Communication Specialist to facilitate media workshop in Dominica by: – February 29, 2012 Share Communications Specialist at the Caribbean Tourism Organization (CTO), Johnson JohnRose will from Thursday this week facilitate a media workshop in Dominica.Johnson JohnRose. Photo credit: cmexmedia.orgThe 3–day workshop is organized by the Discover Dominica Authority (DDA) will commence on Thursday, March 1st, 2012 to Saturday, March 3rd, 2012 at the La Flamboyant.A press release from the DDA indicates that the workshop has been designed to help journalists (writers, producers, etc) enhance their skills through hands-on, very practical exercises. The organizers say it was also designed to give participants “a much clearer sense of how to approach news, different from the less-than-effective way that has been taught”.The release further notes; “This very interactive workshop will deal with issues like what is news, what determines news and how to identify a news story. It will also expose the participants to the basic approach, preparation and question techniques of effective interviewing. Three other key areas that will be covered during the workshop are Journalism Ethics – a very essential but often neglected area of the profession –, feature writing, including structure, style and guidelines, and crime and crisis reporting”. Participants will be required to interview various local tourism stakeholders as part of the workshop and use the material collected from these interviews to produce stories and features as part of the training. These interviews will be part of the competitive assignments, which will be judged; the winner will be announced at the Tourism Month Awards Ceremony in May 2012.Dominica Vibes Newslast_img read more