Horrific Limerick nightmare draws to a close for those left behind

first_imgTwitter TAGSAskeatonJulia Holmeslimerickthomas ruttle Previous articleLimerick inquest told of suicide pact as past caught up with fraudsterNext articleFestival of fire and water Staff Reporterhttp://www.limerickpost.ie Limerick’s National Camogie League double header to be streamed live Predictions on the future of learning discussed at Limerick Lifelong Learning Festival NewsHorrific Limerick nightmare draws to a close for those left behindBy Staff Reporter – April 29, 2016 1102 Facebook Advertisement Email Linkedincenter_img Billy Lee names strong Limerick side to take on Wicklow in crucial Division 3 clash RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Limerick Artist ‘Willzee’ releases new Music Video – “A Dream of Peace” Print WATCH: “Everyone is fighting so hard to get on” – Pat Ryan on competitive camogie squads Pauline Knight speaking to the Media at Newcastle West Court House after in inquest into the death of Thomas Ruttle and Julia Holmes in Askeaton, Limerick in 2015Picture Credit Brian Gavin Press 22THE HORRIFIC nightmare that two teenage boys woke up to on May 18, 2015 is finally at an end after details of the gruesome circumstances surrounding their father’s death in Limerick were read out at a coroners court.Ian Knight (18) and his brother Kelvin (15), sat side by side at Newcastle West coroner’s court during the inquest hearing into the deaths of Thomas Ruttle and his partner Julia Holmes.Coroner, Antoinette Simon said she hoped the hearing would bring closure to the two boys and the extended family.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Their father’s death had become a national obsession after his body was found alongside that of the serial fraudster who had seemingly coerced him into ending his life in a bizarre suicide pact that she felt was the only way to bring an end to the international police hunt that was closing in on her.How the well regarded Thomas Ruttle, a gifted carpenter, mechanic and beekeeper, ended up with Julia Holmes is still a mysteryShe had up to 40 known aliases. She served time in a US penitentiary. She was the subject of an FBI probe. She was on the PSNI wanted list after she jumped bail on an £18,000 fraud and the Gardai were also on her trail.The manner in which the Ruttle and Knight families endured their own nightmare was a testament to their dignity and decency.Intimate details of the life and death of Thomas Ruttle were laid bare in the cold surrounds of a West Limerick courthouse.Julia Holmes may have died alongside Thomas Ruttle, but she was very much on her own in the memory of those she left behind. There was no one to claim her remains. No family members attended the inquest in to her death.They were left behind when she abandoned her only son 40 years ago when he was just an infant.Speaking after the coroner’s verdict, the grandparents of Mr Ruttle’s teenage sons said they hoped the inquest may bring some sort of closure to what has been an horrific period in their lives.Ted and Pauline Knight, whose daughter Lian was previously in a relationship with Thomas Ruttle, said they hoped their grandsons would be able to rebuild their lives.“I think they were in shock and today I think clarified a lot of stuff for them. I think now they understand things a little better than they did I think, and they can get on with their lives now,” Mr Knight said.The couple, who ran a marina in Dromineer, Co Tipperary, described Thomas Ruttle who previously worked for them, as a “quiet man”.“He was a carpenter and he was a mechanic and he had wonderful hands. He was a very quiet unassuming man – an absolute gentleman,” he said.When asked how Mr Ruttle had been taken in by Julia Holmes, he replied: “They owed a lot of money, we hear that, we don’t know”.He said they never met Julia Holmes “thanks be to God”.It is understood that Mr Ruttle had become estranged from his family when he began his relationship with the 63-year-old fraudster.“We never wanted to meet her,” they said.Leaving the court house the grandparents said their focus was now on their grandsons and helping them close what has been undoubtedly a very difficult chapter in their young lives.“Hopefully this will close it for them”, Mr Knight said. WhatsApp Limerick Ladies National Football League opener to be streamed live last_img read more

Injury stalls Frimpong’s Mazembe move

first_imgIn a startling twist to Yaw Frimpong’s move to TP Mazembe, the player will have to wait at least two weeks for his medical. Supersport.com understands that an injury he sustained yesterday has forced Kotoko’s team doctors to cancel the scheduled trip.The right-back had a great season last term, so his anticipated move to Central Africa came as no surprise. But moments after supersport.com broke the news of his expected departure on Monday night, the sting in the tale came through from the Kotoko camp.“Yaw is injured, unfortunately”, Kotoko’s team doctor told supersport.com’s correspondent in Kumasi. “We thought he could be able to shake it off and just fly out tonight but it will not work. So we have to wait.”Frimpong was billed to leave Ghana tonight with the club’s International Relations Manager (IRM), Kwame Baah-Nuako but now the IRM will leave alone to Kenya before connecting to Lubumbashi. There, Baah-Nuako meets Daniel Nii Adjei, who just played for the Black Stars in Malawi, at the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport in Kenya.Mazembe have already bought Gladson Awako from Berekum Chelsea as well as Daniel Nii Adjei as they seek to strengthen their team for the impending African club competitions in the coming years.last_img read more

Clippers’ Paul Pierce downplays exchange with Draymond Green

first_imgPaul was the one expressing concern, but not for himself. The Clippers’ point guard approached Rivers before Friday’s game to voice his apprehension about interrupting the elevated play of Austin Rivers. He implored his coach to tell the point guard to stay aggressive despite Paul’s presence reducing his role. “I said, he’s standing right there. You can go tell him,” Doc Rivers said. “It’s better for a player to tell a player that.” Pierce, who is averaging just 3.7 points in 13 games this season, did not play Thursday against the Warriors. Green was along the side of the lane while a free throw was being shot when he began yelling in the direction of Pierce. The Clippers forward responded with a tweet Friday morning that referenced the Warriors’ 2015-16 season that ended when the Cleveland Cavaliers erased a 3-1 series deficit in the NBA finals to defeat the team that set an NBA record with 73 regular-season victories. It read: “73 wins and u thought u was gonna win a title that yr…3-1 lead oops.”Paul concerned for RiversClippers coach Doc Rivers wasn’t worried about Chris Paul being in shape for his return from the torn ligament in his thumb that shelved him for 15 games. “He was running I want to say three days after surgery,” Rivers said. “So, it’s still not running against Kawhi Leonard and that group. But he’s been able to play. We did have two good practices where we did a lot of up and down, so I think that helped.” Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Errorcenter_img LOS ANGELES >> Draymond Green’s verbal jabs at Paul Pierce during the Warriors’ 123-113 win Thursday stayed with Clippers forward long enough for him to tweet an acerbic response at 2:04 a.m. Friday. By Friday evening, Pierce was downplaying the exchange that began when the Warriors forward told him loud enough for the TNT broadcast to pick up the audio: “Chasing that farewell tour. They don’t love you like that. … You thought you was Kobe?”Pierce, who announced before the season that this would be the final of his 19 years in the NBA, was on the bench when Green began taunting him less than 20 seconds into the game. “That wasn’t no beef,” Pierce said before Friday’s game against the Spurs. “I ain’t got no beef in the NBA. I’ve already settled all my beefs. That’s just good banter, you know. That’s all it is, good back and forth.”last_img read more

Naked Florida man spent 24 hours vandalizing school

first_imgPolice arrested a naked Florida man who broke into a South Florida High School and spent nearly 24 hours vandalizing the building.Police say 21-year-old Matthew Crandall was caught on surveillance cameras trashing Miramar High School on Memorial Day. They say he wore only a hat and headphones while smashing computers and televisions.Video showed Crandall breaking in around 7 a.m. Monday and caused flooding in hallways and vandalized classrooms, walls and hallways.Officials say he caused about $100,000 worth of damage.He’s charged with burglary and criminal mischief. It’s not known whether he has ties to the school.last_img read more

Two new caps in squad as England seek to end European drought

first_img18 Jun 2012 Two new caps in squad as England seek to end European drought England Golf will parade two new caps in their six-strong squad as they seek to bridge an eight-year gap without a victory in the annual European Boys Team Championships at Lidingo Golf Club near Stockholm in Sweden on 10th – 14th July. The newcomers to boys international golf are Nick Marsh (Huddersfield, Yorkshire) and Ashton Turner (Kenwick Park, Lincolnshire), while the other four members of the team will be Matthew Fitzpatrick (Hallamshire, Yorkshire), Patrick Kelly (Boston West, Lincolnshire), Max Orrin (North Foreland, Kent) and Toby Tree (Worthing, Sussex). The non-travelling reserve is Harrison Greenberry (Exeter G&CC, Devon). Marsh (image © Tom Ward) is the current leader of the Titleist/FootJoy England Golf Boys Order of Merit following joint second place in the McEvoy Trophy and equal third in the Fairhaven Trophies, while Turner, fifth on the Merit list, was also third at Fairhaven. The inclusion of Turner means he steps up from an under 16 international last year when he was also an England schools cap. Fitzpatrick finished runner-up in last year’s Titleist/FootJoy Boys Order of Merit following a second place in the England Boys Under 18 Championship for the Carris Trophy, reaching the quarter finals of the British Boys and as joint winner of the Junior County Champions Tournament. A former under 16 international, he became a boy cap in last year’s Boys Home Internationals in Wales and has won this year’s Selborne Salver and finished second on countback for the Hampshire Salver. Kelly, currently second on the Merit list, also made his debut as a boy cap in last year’s Boys Home Internationals, having finished runner-up to Greenberry in the British Boys. Another former under 16 cap, he won the Fairhaven Trophy last month. Orrin made his debut in last year’s European Boys Championship in the Czech Republic after stepping up from an under 16 international. Runner-up in the English under 16 Championship for the McGregor Trophy in 2010, he was equally successful last year, winning the Andalucia Junior Open in Spain, finishing second in the Darwin Salver and third in the Fairhaven Trophy. This year, he was again second in the Darwin Salver but has recorded two significant victories, winning the prestigious Thunderbird International Junior in Arizona and the Kent Championship. He was also tied fourth in the South East of England Links Championship. Tree returns to boys international golf after making his full England debut against France last month, winning two of his four games. Winner of the Sir Henry Cooper Junior Masters last year, he also tasted victory in South Africa over the winter, winning the Gauteng North Open. A former Sussex Boys champion, he has the distinction of winning the English under 14 Championship in 2008 then the under 16 title in 2010. He also finished runner-up in last year’s North of England under 16 Championship. England has not won the Boys European title since 2004 in Finland and will want to improve on eighth place in 2010 and 11th last year.last_img read more

Thanksgiving Day Proclamation, 1961

first_imgJohn F. Kennedy Jr., was the first Catholic to be elected president of the United States. He was assassinated in Dallas, Tx. On Nov. 22, 1963 John F. Kennedy Jr.,35th President of the United States“It is a good thing to give thanks unto the Lord.”
More than three centuries ago, the Pilgrims, after a year of hardship and peril, humbly and reverently set aside a special day upon which to give thanks to God for their preservation and for the good harvest from the virgin soil upon which they had labored. Grave and unknown dangers remained. Yet by their faith and by their toil they had survived the rigors of the harsh New England winter. Hence they paused in their labors to give thanks for the blessings that had been bestowed upon them by Divine Providence.
This year, as the harvest draws near its close and the year approaches its end, awesome perils again remain to be faced. Yet we have, as in the past, ample reason to be thankful for the abundance of our blessings. We are grateful for the blessings of faith and health and strength and for the imperishable spiritual gifts of love and hope. We give thanks, too, for our freedom as a nation; for the strength of our arms and the faith of our friends; for the beliefs and confidence we share; for our determination to stand firmly for what we believe to be right and to resist mightily what we believe to be base; and for the heritage of liberty bequeathed by our ancestors which we are privileged to preserve for our children and our children’s children.
It is right that we should be grateful for the plenty amidst which we live; the productivity of our farms, the output of our factories, the skill of our artisans, and the ingenuity of our investors. But in the midst of our thanksgiving, let us not be unmindful of the plight of those in many parts of the world to whom hunger is no stranger and the plight of those millions more who live without the blessings of liberty and freedom. With some we are able to share our material abundance through our Food-for-Peace Program and through our support of the United Nations Freedom-from-Hunger Campaign. To all we can offer the sustenance of hope that we shall not fail in our unceasing efforts to make this a peaceful and prosperous world for all mankind.
NOW, THEREFORE, I, JOHN F. KENNEDY, President of the United States of America, in consonance with the joint resolution of Congress approved December 26, 1941, which designates the fourth Thursday in November of each year as Thanksgiving Day, do hereby proclaim Thursday, the twenty-third day of November of this year, as a day of national thanksgiving.
I urge all citizens to make this Thanksgiving not merely a holiday from their labors, but rather a day of contemplation. I ask the head of each family to recount to his children the story of the first New England thanksgiving, thus to impress upon future generations the heritage of this nation born in toil, in danger, in purpose, and in the conviction that right and justice and freedom can through man’s efforts persevere and come to fruition with the blessing of God.
Let us observe this day with reverence and with prayer that will rekindle in us the will and show us the way not only to preserve our blessings, but also to extend them to the four corners of the earth. Let us by our example, as well as by our material aid, assist all peoples of all nations who are striving to achieve a better life in freedom.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand and caused the Seal of the United States of America to be affixed.
DONE at the City of Washington this twenty-seventh day of October in the year of our Lord nineteen hundred and sixty-one, and of the Independence of the United States of America the one hundred and eighty-sixth.last_img read more