Six years after Guantanamo was turned into a prison camp, Reporters Without Borders calls again for its closure and for Al-Jazeera cameraman’s release

first_img United StatesAmericas News June 3, 2021 Find out more WhatsApp blocks accounts of at least seven Gaza Strip journalists RSF_en Receive email alerts On the eve of the sixth anniversary of the arrival of the first detainees at the US naval base at Guantanamo Bay in eastern Cuba, Reporters Without Borders today reiterated its call for the camp’s closure and the release of Sami Al-Haj, a Sudanese cameraman with the pan-Arab TV station Al-Jazeera who has been held there without charge since June 2002.Several hundred persons captured by the US army during “Operation Enduring Freedom” in Afghanistan were transferred to Guantanamo Bay on 11 January 2002, thereby turning the naval base into a prison camp where at one point 770 people were held without any of the legal guarantees envisaged by the US constitution or by the Geneva Conventions on prisoners of war.Al-Haj is one of the roughly 300 people still being held at the camp, which Reporters Without Borders secretary-general Robert Ménard visited last week without being allowed to see him. Ménard’s visit will be the subject of an article in the next issue of the French magazine Médias.“We appeal for Al-Haj’s release or his transfer to his home country,” Reporters Without Borders said. “Negotiations on his transfer are currently under way. We went to Guantanamo in the hope of meeting him but we not allowed to do this. However, we were able to visit the detention centres inside the camp and to talk to guards, hospital staff, military officers in charge of the Annual Administrative Reviews and Rear Admiral Mark H. Buzby, the head of the Guantanamo Joint Task Force.“Guantanamo is a legal and humanitarian scandal that has now dragged on for six years. What has been achieved? In the absence of charges, 500 of its detainees have been removed and in most cases sent back to their country of origin. It is hard to understand why around 300 are still being held there, especially as the authorities plan to try only 60-80 of them. The US supreme court rightly ruled on 30 June 2006 that the special military tribunals set up to try these “enemy combatants” were unconstitutional, and the US senate judiciary committee said on 7 June 2007 that they should be restored their right to habeas corpus.“This is not enough,” Reporters Without Borders added. “The winner of the 7 November presidential election, who will take office in January 2009, must put an end to a situation that is humanely intolerable and legally untenable. We call on all the candidates competing for their party’s nomination in the primaries to undertake to close Guantanamo.”Arrested by the Pakistani army on the Afghan border in December 2001, Al-Haj was handed over to the US military a month later and was transferred to Guantanamo on 13 June 2002. The US military claimed that he secretly interviewed Osama Bin Laden, trafficked in arms for Al-Qaeda and ran an Islamist website but no evidence was ever produced to support these allegations and he was never formally charged.Regularly tortured and interrogated about 200 times by his guards, Al-Haj began a hunger strike on 7 January 2007 to protest against his detention and to demand respect for his rights. In reprisal, he was force-fed several times. His lawyer, Clive Stafford-Smith, who visited him in July, said he had lost 18 kilos and had serious intestinal problems. He also has paranoia attacks and has more and more difficulty in communicating normally.Two of the nine Sudanese prisoners in Guantanamo were released last month. In a recent memo to the Sudanese government, the US authorities said they would return Al-Haj to Sudan only if he were banned from leaving the country and were banned from working as journalist.The CIA announced on 15 December that it destroyed videos of detainees being interrogated in Guantanamo and in its secret prisons, despite a court order to preserve them. A criminal investigation into their destruction began on 2 January, but federal judge Henry H. Kennedy said a week later that he would not insist on questioning José Rodríguez, the former CIA officer who reportedly ordered their destruction. In response to congressional protests, Kennedy said he would await the results of a justice department internal probe. The New York Times reported last month that four White House legal advisers endorsed their destruction.Reporters Without Borders established a system of sponsorship 18 years ago in which international media are encouraged to adopt imprisoned journalists. More than 200 news organisations, journalists’ associations, press clubs and other entities throughout the world are currently supporting journalists by regularly calling on the authorities to release them and by publicising their cases. Al Haj has been adopted by four Spanish media (La Sexta, IPS-Comunica, La Voz del Occidente, and the Colexio de Xornalistas de Galicia) and six Canadian media (Corriere Canadese, Atlas media, Magazine de Saint-Lambert, Mouton Noir, CIBL and Radio Canada Sudbury). News Organisation News June 7, 2021 Find out more to go further Help by sharing this information Facebook’s Oversight Board is just a stopgap, regulation urgently needed, RSF says NSO Group hasn’t kept its promises on human rights, RSF and other NGOs say News Reporters Without Borders last week visited the US naval base of Guantanamo, which was turned into a prison camp exactly six years ago, on 11 January 2002. However, the organisation was not allowed to see Sami Al-Haj, a Sudanese cameraman employed by Al-Jazeera who has been held there without charge since June 2002. We reiterate our call for his release. United StatesAmericas Follow the news on United States January 10, 2008 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Six years after Guantanamo was turned into a prison camp, Reporters Without Borders calls again for its closure and for Al-Jazeera cameraman’s release April 28, 2021 Find out morelast_img read more

Horrific Limerick nightmare draws to a close for those left behind

first_imgTwitter TAGSAskeatonJulia Holmeslimerickthomas ruttle Previous articleLimerick inquest told of suicide pact as past caught up with fraudsterNext articleFestival of fire and water Staff Reporterhttp://www.limerickpost.ie Limerick’s National Camogie League double header to be streamed live Predictions on the future of learning discussed at Limerick Lifelong Learning Festival NewsHorrific Limerick nightmare draws to a close for those left behindBy Staff Reporter – April 29, 2016 1102 Facebook Advertisement Email Linkedincenter_img Billy Lee names strong Limerick side to take on Wicklow in crucial Division 3 clash RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Limerick Artist ‘Willzee’ releases new Music Video – “A Dream of Peace” Print WATCH: “Everyone is fighting so hard to get on” – Pat Ryan on competitive camogie squads Pauline Knight speaking to the Media at Newcastle West Court House after in inquest into the death of Thomas Ruttle and Julia Holmes in Askeaton, Limerick in 2015Picture Credit Brian Gavin Press 22THE HORRIFIC nightmare that two teenage boys woke up to on May 18, 2015 is finally at an end after details of the gruesome circumstances surrounding their father’s death in Limerick were read out at a coroners court.Ian Knight (18) and his brother Kelvin (15), sat side by side at Newcastle West coroner’s court during the inquest hearing into the deaths of Thomas Ruttle and his partner Julia Holmes.Coroner, Antoinette Simon said she hoped the hearing would bring closure to the two boys and the extended family.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Their father’s death had become a national obsession after his body was found alongside that of the serial fraudster who had seemingly coerced him into ending his life in a bizarre suicide pact that she felt was the only way to bring an end to the international police hunt that was closing in on her.How the well regarded Thomas Ruttle, a gifted carpenter, mechanic and beekeeper, ended up with Julia Holmes is still a mysteryShe had up to 40 known aliases. She served time in a US penitentiary. She was the subject of an FBI probe. She was on the PSNI wanted list after she jumped bail on an £18,000 fraud and the Gardai were also on her trail.The manner in which the Ruttle and Knight families endured their own nightmare was a testament to their dignity and decency.Intimate details of the life and death of Thomas Ruttle were laid bare in the cold surrounds of a West Limerick courthouse.Julia Holmes may have died alongside Thomas Ruttle, but she was very much on her own in the memory of those she left behind. There was no one to claim her remains. No family members attended the inquest in to her death.They were left behind when she abandoned her only son 40 years ago when he was just an infant.Speaking after the coroner’s verdict, the grandparents of Mr Ruttle’s teenage sons said they hoped the inquest may bring some sort of closure to what has been an horrific period in their lives.Ted and Pauline Knight, whose daughter Lian was previously in a relationship with Thomas Ruttle, said they hoped their grandsons would be able to rebuild their lives.“I think they were in shock and today I think clarified a lot of stuff for them. I think now they understand things a little better than they did I think, and they can get on with their lives now,” Mr Knight said.The couple, who ran a marina in Dromineer, Co Tipperary, described Thomas Ruttle who previously worked for them, as a “quiet man”.“He was a carpenter and he was a mechanic and he had wonderful hands. He was a very quiet unassuming man – an absolute gentleman,” he said.When asked how Mr Ruttle had been taken in by Julia Holmes, he replied: “They owed a lot of money, we hear that, we don’t know”.He said they never met Julia Holmes “thanks be to God”.It is understood that Mr Ruttle had become estranged from his family when he began his relationship with the 63-year-old fraudster.“We never wanted to meet her,” they said.Leaving the court house the grandparents said their focus was now on their grandsons and helping them close what has been undoubtedly a very difficult chapter in their young lives.“Hopefully this will close it for them”, Mr Knight said. WhatsApp Limerick Ladies National Football League opener to be streamed live last_img read more

Feeling renewed connection to family and neighbors

first_img Life at a distance Some groups have retooled old school rituals, while others have created new ones Snapshots of the widespread Harvard community: A Zoom wedding; reunion in St. Croix; challenges of teaching ASL online; and a taste of Cuba This is part of a series called Postcards From Here, in which Harvard undergraduates talk about the changes brought on by the coronavirus pandemic.Gabrielle “Gabby” Donaldson ’23Hometown: Raleigh, N.C.Concentration (Intended): PhilosophyHouse: DunsterMissing it all“I miss spending time with and seeing my friends, teammates, coaches, and even my professors every day. I miss the ambiance of our campus and the sense of community that it provides. Harvard is a unique place, and the people that I am surrounded by every single day make it all the more amazing. I miss being able to have lunch with friends, being greeted by Mr. John and his daily jokes in Annenberg, exchanging smiles with Schoolmates who I do not know, walking to and from class, and seeing the sunset over the bridge after [basketball] practices.” Show and tell“My School friends are from various parts of the world and being able to keep in touch with them has made this transition a lot easier. My teammates and I have had a lot of fun keeping in touch with each other by having themed Zoom calls (picture shares, show and tell), joking with one another daily, and having calls or exchanging messages to check in with each other. The springtime is a time where we spend a lot of time together both on and off the court. Being able to maintain connections and our chemistry has been the best.”Tech support“Outside of School, I spend a lot of time with family, talking with friends, getting workouts in, cooking, and taking care of technological duties for my church, such as sending out weekly updates and helping members with Zoom.”Distanced but not distant“My family is healthy, which I am incredibly grateful for. I have a lot of elderly family members — aunts, uncles, and my grandpa — who I check in on. A good direct effect that we have experienced is being able to spend more time with one another and having more availability to provide encouragement and support for others who need it as well as each other. I have also enjoyed seeing neighbors who I have not seen in a long time, new faces, kids playing outside again and not being stuck to computer screens and phone screens, neighbors taking the time to wave ‘hello,’ yard improvements, and a human connection like I have not seen in a long time. I believe that people recognize the power in selfless unity and togetherness, though we are socially distanced from one another. I see an effort from people to let others know that they are not alone and that we are all in this together.” The Daily Gazette Sign up for daily emails to get the latest Harvard news. Teaching by podcast; a taste of campus life; lessons from the South Pole; virtual voice lessons Notes from the new normal A remote ‘Doctor of Philosophy Dance Party,’ laughter yoga, crowd-sourced altruism, and tweet to remember Related Dispatches from socially distancing students and faculty Scenes from the socially distant Bits of the socially distanced lives of staff and faculty, from a LEGO model of the Music Building to Gov. Andrew Cuomo as Henry V to cereal for dinner — in the shower Finding creative ways to maintain campus bonds remotelylast_img read more

Immigration stops Lebanon-bound Pinay workers at Iloilo airport

first_img“A concerned citizen called the IACAT(Inter-Agency Council Against Trafficking) 1343 action line to relay theinformation. Reports like these are really valuable to the council as they helpus immediately identify the victims and conduct rescue operations,” Barizosaid. The women alleged a certain “Alfred”facilitated the processing of their travel documents and their work visas wouldbe handed to them upon their arrival in Beirut. Meanwhile, Immigration commissionerJaime Morente reiterated his appeal to the public to report possible cases ofhuman trafficking. “Upon arriving in Hong Kong they weresupposed to board their connecting flight to Beirut and end up working there ashousehold service workers (HSWs) without the appropriate overseas workpermits,” Barizo said, adding the trafficking attempt was foiled after theywere tipped by informants about the illegal activity. ILOILO City – Immigration officialsintercepted six suspected human trafficking victims who attempted to leave thecountry for Lebanon at the Iloilo International Airport (IIA). The women were turned over to theIACAT in Western Visayas for assistance and further investigation.(With a report from PNA/PN) “The IACAT 1343 action line is a veryvaluable tool in preventing human trafficking. We urge our fellow Filipinos tocall and report so the council may investigate and rescue these poor victimswho are duped by traffickers and illegal recruiters,” he said. Ma. Lourdes Mariano, head supervisorof the Bureau of Immigration-IIA, said they immediately verified theinformation, and interviewed the victims. “They all admitted that they weretraveling to Lebanon to work as HSWs without the necessary documents,” sheadded. Immigration officials recently intercepted six suspected human trafficking victims who attempted to leave the country for Lebanon at the Iloilo International Airport in Cabatuan town. MARCOS CARATAO JR. Travel Control and Enforcement Unit(TCEU) head Ma. Timotea Barizo said the women, who were illegally recruited towork as domestic helpers were stopped at the departure area of the airportearlier this month, as they were about to board a flight to Hong Kong. last_img read more

Ashley completes sweep at Cottage Grove

first_imgBy Ben DeatherageCOTTAGE GROVE, Ore. (April 18) – Jimmy Owen led most of the main event but couldn’t prevent Saturday’s Karl Chevrolet Northern SportMod sweep at Cottage Grove Speedway by Gene Ashley.Owen kept his ride out in front for the majority of the feature but on lap 11 Ashley took over and began to pull away.It became a clean sweep for Ashley as he also collected the quick time award and trophy dash and heat race wins.Owen and Jayson Nelson completed the top three.last_img