Twitter Man arrested after suspected gun and ammunition found following pursuit of car in Limerick Sunville House in County LimerickA LIMERICK mother, who was recovering from breast cancer surgery, was having a bath when a gang of armed raiders burst in to her home.Ann Garvey, of Sunville House, Pallasgreen told Judge John Hannan at Limerick Circuit Court last week that the men, who were armed with a sawn-off shotgun, a baseball bat and a sledgehammer, said her daughter would be shot if she didn’t give them the key to the safe.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Ms Garvey was giving her evidence in the trial of Patrick Roche, (52), of Kilcronan Close, Clondalkin, Dublin; his son Philip Roche (24) of the same address and Alan Freeman (37) of Pearse Park, Tipperary Town who all pleaded not guilty to charges of aggravated burglary at the Garvey home on April 16, 2012.Both Patrick and Philip Roche have also pleaded not guilty to an aggravated burglary at the home of William, Nora and Christina Creed at Ballyluddy, Pallasgreen, on May 31, 2012.Ms Garvey told the court that she had undergone a mastectomy and was taking a bath when the men broke in to her home. The mother-of-four said that her husband, Gerard was handcuffed in the sitting room and had a sawn-off shotgun pressed to his forehead.One of their daughters was bound with cable ties and her twin brother was punched in the face and threatened with a baseball bat.Gerard Garvey said that when he went to investigate a loud bang in the living room, he was confronted by a gang who had smashed the patio door. He said there were three or four figures dressed in black and wearing balaclavas.He was looking down the barrel of a sawn-off shotgun as they forced him and his daughter to the ground.The man with the gun said: “we’ll blow your head off and we will take your kids away and you’ll never see them again”.They demanded the key of the safe which contained $3,000 and £5,000 but they wanted more.Sgt Helen Holden told Judge Hannan that when she arrived to Sunville House, she found a scene of “panic, pandemonium, and trauma”.Det Garda Niamh Brosnan, who was accompanied by Det Garda Senan O’Sullivan said that the family were extremely upset and shocked at what had happened and that Gerry Garvey was still in handcuffs and had to be freed with bolt cutters.The trial is expected to last another four weeks. Advertisement No vaccines in Limerick yet Man charged with assault causing harm to shop worker after arrest on suspicion of coughing on victim NewsArmed raiders told woman they would shoot her daughterBy Staff Reporter – June 21, 2017 1362 TAGSAnn GarveyCourtfeaturedGerard Garveysunville house Linkedin Walk in Covid testing available in Limerick from Saturday 10th April Print Facebook RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR WhatsApp Previous article#WATCH Statue of Anthony Foley unveiled on Clancy’s StrandNext articleNew O’Connell Street will put pedestrians first Staff Reporterhttp://www.limerickpost.ie Email 27 month delay in justice at Limerick courts Sunville House in County Limerick Rape Crisis welcomes publication of O’Malley report
Although times are temporarily tough, businesses are holding onto hope. “Some of our cashiers are doing deliveries, some of our servers are doing deliveries, we’re beefing up those operations,” said Crews who is also a manager at Owego Originals. “Give them a call, buy them a gift certificate, tell your friends to do the same thing and take good care of yourself,” said Curatolo. Owego Originals offers free lunch to students up to 12th grade from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Mondays and Thursdays. “This is who we are. This is our identity. So this isn’t just a matter of taking a dip in business or a dip in sales, this is a matter of us just remembering who we are, supporting our small businesses, and just bouncing back as soon as we can,” said Owego Historic Marketplace president Brad Crews. Shops and restaurants have had to cut hours, as well as workers. “Whether it’s restaurants, gift shops, whatever, come out and support them either through gift certificates, things you’re going to buy, buy something for somebody else who is struggling right now. Those are the important pieces,” said Owego Kitchen owner Ike Lovelass. But in the meantime, there are some things you can do to help while following the restrictions in place. Despite the changes business owners are facing, they are still serving the community and giving back. OWEGO (WBNG) — Earlier this week, the state announced restaurants and bars would be suspending dine-in operations, while capacity restrictions were placed on other businesses. Owego Kitchen offered free family dinners to people in the area on Tuesday afternoon and says it has plans to continue. It’s especially true for the Village of Owego. “Day one they were communicating about what they can do for the community. And I think that’s really telling about why we should feed small businesses, help them sustain themselves, because they are the first ones to give back to the community when we need it,” said Crews. As the coronavirus spreads and more limits are put into place, it’s having its impact on local businesses here in the Southern Tier. “Small businesses are affected extremely and it hits them faster. Faster than large corporations obviously. Some of them will not survive,” said The Goat Boy owner Lisa Curatolo. “Just generosity in this community is why we settled here. It’s incredible the community support. If you think of this village, two floods in two years, 90% of the village underwater, and it’s come out stronger than ever and we hope truly that it will be the same thing here,” said Ike and Julie Lovelass. “It’s heart-wrenching because I know a lot of our employees have kids and while the kids are being taken care of through the schools and the food, it’s such a stressful time. Mortgages need to be paid, the trickle down effect of this is overwhelming,” said Owego Kitchen owner Julie Lovelass. You can also take advantage of take-out and delivery services. Some restaurants in the village, like Owego Kitchen and Las Chicas Taqueria also have online-ordering systems to make things more convenient.
Pressures have been mounting for years from the public and rights activists for law enforcement to prosecute the murder’s mastermind, who remains unknown to this date.Amnesty International Indonesia said Munir’s murder was indicative of the wider culture of impunity enjoyed by perpetrators of attacks against human rights defenders in the country. The lack of full accountability and the political will to resolve the case contributes to an ongoing climate of fear among human rights defenders, said Amnesty International Indonesia executive director Usman Hamid.“We call on President Joko Widodo, who has made a public pledge to resolve the case, to take decisive and concrete action. This process can be started by conducting a review of past criminal proceedings into Munir’s murder, including alleged violations of international human rights standards,” Usman said.In September 2016, President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo made a public pledge to resolve the case of Munir’s murder. But the Indonesian authorities have yet to publish the report into the investigation, in violation of Presidential Decree No. 111/2004 on the establishment of the fact-finding team on Munir’s killing, which obligates the government to make the report public.Topics : Munir, the cofounder of the Commission for Missing Persons and Victims of Violence (Kontras), was murdered with arsenic on Sept. 7, 2004, aboard a Garuda Indonesia plane on his way to the Netherlands to pursue a master’s degree in international law and human rights.His death apparently followed a series of threats made against his life. A bomb exploded outside his home in Jakarta in 2003 and the Kontras office was previously attacked by mobs who destroyed equipment and took away files containing information about ongoing human rights investigations.Read also: Long road to see justice over Munir’s murderSixteen years after his death, nobody has legally been held responsible for the crime. Garuda pilot Polycarpus Budihari Priyanto was found guilty of carrying out the poisoning, but later the Supreme Court only convicted him of document forgery. The National Commission on Human Rights (Komnas HAM) has proposed Sept. 7 to be designated as national human rights defenders day, coinciding with the date of the assassination of prominent human rights activist Munir Said Thalib. “Dedicating Sept. 7 as national human rights defenders day could further promote the idea of providing support and protection for human rights activists in the country,” Komnas HAM commissioner Choirul Anam said in a statement on Monday.Human rights activists have persistently faced violence, harassment and criminalization to date, Choirul said. “Munir himself was a person who pioneered protection of human rights defenders in Indonesia.”