Horrific Limerick nightmare draws to a close for those left behind

first_imgTwitter TAGSAskeatonJulia Holmeslimerickthomas ruttle Previous articleLimerick inquest told of suicide pact as past caught up with fraudsterNext articleFestival of fire and water Staff Reporterhttp://www.limerickpost.ie Limerick’s National Camogie League double header to be streamed live Predictions on the future of learning discussed at Limerick Lifelong Learning Festival NewsHorrific Limerick nightmare draws to a close for those left behindBy Staff Reporter – April 29, 2016 1102 Facebook Advertisement Email Linkedincenter_img Billy Lee names strong Limerick side to take on Wicklow in crucial Division 3 clash RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Limerick Artist ‘Willzee’ releases new Music Video – “A Dream of Peace” Print WATCH: “Everyone is fighting so hard to get on” – Pat Ryan on competitive camogie squads Pauline Knight speaking to the Media at Newcastle West Court House after in inquest into the death of Thomas Ruttle and Julia Holmes in Askeaton, Limerick in 2015Picture Credit Brian Gavin Press 22THE HORRIFIC nightmare that two teenage boys woke up to on May 18, 2015 is finally at an end after details of the gruesome circumstances surrounding their father’s death in Limerick were read out at a coroners court.Ian Knight (18) and his brother Kelvin (15), sat side by side at Newcastle West coroner’s court during the inquest hearing into the deaths of Thomas Ruttle and his partner Julia Holmes.Coroner, Antoinette Simon said she hoped the hearing would bring closure to the two boys and the extended family.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Their father’s death had become a national obsession after his body was found alongside that of the serial fraudster who had seemingly coerced him into ending his life in a bizarre suicide pact that she felt was the only way to bring an end to the international police hunt that was closing in on her.How the well regarded Thomas Ruttle, a gifted carpenter, mechanic and beekeeper, ended up with Julia Holmes is still a mysteryShe had up to 40 known aliases. She served time in a US penitentiary. She was the subject of an FBI probe. She was on the PSNI wanted list after she jumped bail on an £18,000 fraud and the Gardai were also on her trail.The manner in which the Ruttle and Knight families endured their own nightmare was a testament to their dignity and decency.Intimate details of the life and death of Thomas Ruttle were laid bare in the cold surrounds of a West Limerick courthouse.Julia Holmes may have died alongside Thomas Ruttle, but she was very much on her own in the memory of those she left behind. There was no one to claim her remains. No family members attended the inquest in to her death.They were left behind when she abandoned her only son 40 years ago when he was just an infant.Speaking after the coroner’s verdict, the grandparents of Mr Ruttle’s teenage sons said they hoped the inquest may bring some sort of closure to what has been an horrific period in their lives.Ted and Pauline Knight, whose daughter Lian was previously in a relationship with Thomas Ruttle, said they hoped their grandsons would be able to rebuild their lives.“I think they were in shock and today I think clarified a lot of stuff for them. I think now they understand things a little better than they did I think, and they can get on with their lives now,” Mr Knight said.The couple, who ran a marina in Dromineer, Co Tipperary, described Thomas Ruttle who previously worked for them, as a “quiet man”.“He was a carpenter and he was a mechanic and he had wonderful hands. He was a very quiet unassuming man – an absolute gentleman,” he said.When asked how Mr Ruttle had been taken in by Julia Holmes, he replied: “They owed a lot of money, we hear that, we don’t know”.He said they never met Julia Holmes “thanks be to God”.It is understood that Mr Ruttle had become estranged from his family when he began his relationship with the 63-year-old fraudster.“We never wanted to meet her,” they said.Leaving the court house the grandparents said their focus was now on their grandsons and helping them close what has been undoubtedly a very difficult chapter in their young lives.“Hopefully this will close it for them”, Mr Knight said. WhatsApp Limerick Ladies National Football League opener to be streamed live last_img read more

Dorothy Manlief Schultz

first_imgDorothy Manlief Schultz, 73 of Moores Hill, passed away Sunday August 7, 2016 at Bethesda North Hospital, Cincinnati, OH.  Dorothy was born Saturday February 6, 1943 in Russellville, OH, the daughter of Lorin and Grace (Rickey) Gelter. She married Barry Schultz February 26, 2010 and he survives. She was a member of the Moores Hill First Baptist church for over 40 years and she belonged to the American Baptist Women.  She worked as an optician assistant for Dr. Frank Burton in Aurora for 27 years.  Dorothy loved her Grandchildren and Family.  She enjoyed reading, being outdoors, her log cabin, and being a Reds and Bengals Fan.Dorothy is survived by husband: Barry Schultz of Moores Hill; Sons: Doug Pyles of Dillsboro, Kevin (Gena) Manlief of Lawrenceburg; Daughter: Annette (Scott) Walters of Aurora; Brother: Frank Gelter of Cincinnati; Sister: Vivan Farley of Cincinnati, Sadie Allen of Chillicothe, OH, Alice Dailey of Ripley, OH. 6 Grandchildren: Austin Walters, Sam Smith, Sydnee Pyles, Reagan Pyles, Ethan DeHamer, Kyleigh DeHamer.  She is preceded in death by: parents, 3- brothers, 4-sisters.Funeral services will be 11 AM Friday August 12, 2016 at Laws-Carr-Moore Funeral Home, Milan with Pastor Laura Erickson officiating. Burial will follow in Forest Hill cemetery in Moores Hill. Visitation will be Thursday 5-8PM at the funeral home.  Memorials may be made to Moores Hill First Baptist Church.  Go to www.lawscarrmoore.com to leave an online condolence message for the family.  Laws-Carr-Moore Funeral Home, 707 South Main Street, PO Box 243, Milan, Indiana 47031. 812-654-2141last_img read more

Florida immigrant Coalition blast Miani-Dade City council stance on ICE raids

first_imgMaria Rodrguez In response to what it describes as a negative vote during a County Commission special meeting to re-examine the county’s ICE detainer policy, Maria Rodriguez, Executive Director at the Florida Immigrant Coalition, is livid.Rodriguez called the vote a betrayal and said it set the precedent for a moral dilemna..“Today, hundreds of people from diverse sectors filled the board of County Commission chambers beyond capacity to express deep concerns and disapproval of the Mayor’s proposal to cooperate with ICE detainers.  Disregarding numerous constitutional questions and moral dilemma, testimony, prayer and song, with a majority vote of 9-to-3, Commissioners opted to betray immigrant families in exchange for the specter of future discretionary funding.  Fearful of the designation of Sanctuary local leadership buckled under vague threats of federal funding withheld and threw our families under the bus,” she said.She also threatened to file a lawsuit against the City Council.“To be clear, immigrants who are arrested, regardless of their innocence or what they are accused of, will be turned over to ICE if there is a detainer. A lawsuit will follow and we will hold the Commissioners and Mayor accountable to their commitment to prevent police collaboration with federal enforcement agents. Additionally, we will fight to win civil citations instead of arrests for misdemeanors, including driving without a license.”Immigrants have been up in arms ever since Mayor Carlos A. Gimenez’ issued a controversial immigration order directing county jails to comply with a new White House policy targeting sanctuary cities and jurisdictions.last_img read more