Holocaust survivor tells his story to ECISD students

first_imgHe said the Holocaust, which killed 6 million Jews and millions of others, happened almost 70 years ago in World War II.“I’m one of the youngsters that lived through the Holocaust,” Glauben said.He added that he is giving his testimony in honor of those who perished because they should never be forgotten. Glauben said Hitler not only wanted to kill Jews, but destroy them.Glauben is from Warsaw, Poland, and survived the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising. His family’s apartment overlooked a square that saw early fighting in the uprising.Anyone who was Jewish, a minority or handicapped was taken to the gas chamber. Jews had to register and answer questions you wouldn’t have to in a free society.Glauben said the registry was used later on to find and kill the Jews. If you were a professional, you couldn’t practice your profession for the public at large. The Germans wouldn’t allow customers into Jewish-owned stores and Jews weren’t allowed to own property. Raids were conducted daily and people were told how much money they should have on their person or in a bank at times.Jewish people in the ghetto were subjected to starvation and disease and were forced to turn against their own people. Glauben said there were 2,700 apartments and each room became a dungeon with six to eight people, depending on its size.The apartments also became hiding places where people could pretend to be dead if the Germans came in. There also were tricks such as if you did something useful for the Germans, they would give you a certificate you could redeem, but they would grab you while you stood in line and take you to a concentration camp.Youngsters were the first victims, then the elderly and handicapped. It wasn’t just physical abuse, but mental abuse, Glauben said.He described the conditions in detail and how Jews were forced to build the walls around the ghetto. Warsaw had been the capital of Poland, but the Germans changed it to Krakow.He ultimately lost his whole family, except his father with whom Glauben was sent to forced labor camps and salt mines. His father, a newspaper owner, was killed three weeks after being sent to the camp.Glauben came to the United States in 1947 as an orphan.He was drafted into the U.S. Army in 1951 and served at Fort Hood, an article in the Dallas Morning News said. He served three more years in the reserves after his active duty ended in 1953, the Morning News reported in 2013.Glauben said he married a native Texan and is still with her to this day. They have three children, seven grandchildren and one great-grandchild.Through the years, Glauben has held many jobs, including toy buyer for Neiman Marcus and owner of Imperial Garment Supply, the Morning News said.Gerad Sandate, a 15-year-old ninth-grader at Falcon Early College High School, took Glauben’s message to heart. He added that he hadn’t studied this period of history before.“He told about all the hard things he lived through and all the struggles that he went through with his family and why this should never happen again,” Sandate said.“It did give me motivation because I am going through some hard times at school. He showed me that what he went through was much harder than what I went through,” he added.Shelley Wagner, an English teacher at OCTECHS, wrote the grant to the Education Foundation to bring Glauben to Odessa. Wagner said it’s invaluable to students to have a chance to listen to Glauben.“There will not be very many opportunities in the future to have a firsthand account of something so devastating in our history. Like Mr. Glauben said, being an upstander is the most important part of our community.”More Information Students listen as Holocaust survivor Max Glauben speaks in the Deaderick Hall Auditorium at Odessa College Friday, March 2, 2018. By admin – March 3, 2018 Holocaust survivor Max Glauben speaks to students in the Deaderick Hall Auditorium at Odessa College Friday, March 2, 2018. WhatsApp 1 of 3 Twitter Noel earns award Pinterest Education Foundation of Odessa.U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum. In telling his story of surviving the Holocaust, concentration camps, forced marches and losing his family to Ector County Independent School District students at Odessa College Friday, Max Glauben told the young people they need to be “upstanders” to make sure something like what he endured never happens again.Glauben spoke to a full house in Deaderick Hall Auditorium to students who listened in rapt attention. The 90-year-old Dallas resident said he is one of the able survivors who can do outreach. After being transferred from camp to camp, Glauben was liberated by the U.S. Army in April 1945.“You need to be upstanders and do what’s right if you see anyone bullied or mistreated,” Glauben said.He also urged students to never give up, keep trying and keep in mind that there is never an end as long as they are still living. “Never underestimate what you possess and what you can do,” Glauben said. Previous articleELDER: Race and sports: It’s not 1947 anymore. Let’s not pretend that it isNext articleLongtime Permian associate band director elected to TMEA admin RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR WhatsAppcenter_img Home Local News Education Holocaust survivor tells his story to ECISD students Facebook Local NewsEducation Holocaust survivor tells his story to ECISD students Twitter Pinterest Students listen as Holocaust survivor Max Glauben speaks in the Deaderick Hall Auditorium at Odessa College Friday, March 2, 2018. Registration set for engineering camp Facebook OCA top 2 were ESL students Holocaust survivor Max Glauben speaks to students in the Deaderick Hall Auditorium at Odessa College Friday, March 2, 2018. Creamy Fruit SaladFruit Salad to Die ForHawaiian Roll Ham SlidersPowered By 10 Sec Mama’s Deviled Eggs NextStay last_img read more

Biggar snatches draw for Ospreys

first_img The Ospreys won the league title at the RDS in May 2012, but Leinster dictated most of the first half with Richardt Strauss and David Kearney running in tries. They should have been further ahead than 16-9 at the break, Biggar kicking the Welsh region in touch with three penalties, including one just before the interval to cut the deficit to single figures. Biggar and Jimmy Gopperth swapped kicks on the resumption before the Ospreys raced ahead thanks to two tries in the space of three minutes from Joe Bearman and Ashley Beck. It looked like curtains for the Irish province when they had Sean Cronin sin-binned, but they managed to score 10 points while the hooker was off – Gopperth converting man-of-the-match Jack McGrath’s try and adding another penalty for the lead. Yet there was yet another twist in the edge-of-the-seat contest, a last-gasp ruck offence paving the way for Biggar’s equalising kick. The Ospreys had been first off the mark in the Dublin sunshine, retaining possession well before a ruck infringement from Devin Toner allowed Biggar to open the scoring three minutes in. Leinster cancelled that out with a fine try just two minutes later. Brendan Macken sparked the initial break on the right, with Gopperth and Darragh Fanning getting involved, and some fine continuity sucked in the visitors’ defence for McGrath to send fellow front-rower Strauss over unopposed in the left corner. Press Association Gopperth’s conversion attempt missed on the near side and Leinster – minus late withdrawal Luke Fitzgerald who was ruled out with a tight groin – had to make further alterations to their back-line as Darren Hudson hobbled off and Ian Madigan was introduced at full-back. Kearney, who switched to the wing, profited from a clever counter-attack for Leinster’s second try in the 13th minute. The province swung turnover ball wide for Gopperth to dart through a gap and he fed Kearney who left the covering Richard Fussell in his wake with a classy finish on the left. Gopperth failed to add the extras, but his variation in open play was keeping the Ospreys guessing as Leinster continued to prosper with ball in hand. In the second quarter, great hands from Toner to Strauss unlocked the Welsh defence and possession was retained for Gopperth to turn a low pass into a neatly-taken drop goal. Biggar cancelled those three points out with his second successful penalty, before the hosts’ hard graft at ruck time – Mike McCarthy on his home debut was in the thick of it – led to a penalty reply from Gopperth. The Ospreys stayed within a converted score for half-time thanks to a late Biggar penalty after Jordi Murphy went off his feet at a ruck. Adam Jones and Duncan Jones were sent on for the second half to solidify an Ospreys scrum that had come under pressure in the opening 40 minutes, with the former’s introduction seeing him join fellow British & Irish Lion Ian Evans on the pitch. McCarthy was caught tackling Scott Baldwin without the ball and the resulting penalty was fired through the posts by Biggar for a 16-12 scoreline. Although Gopperth was able to restore Leinster’s seven-point advantage soon after, the momentum of the game quickly shifted approaching the hour mark. The Ospreys, boosted by their strong bench, did damage through their forwards to create two quick-fire try-scoring opportunities which they clinically took. Biggar popped a perfectly-timed pass for number eight Bearman to dot down under pressure from two Leinster defenders. Television match official Brian MacNeice confirmed the grounding and Biggar’s conversion tied things up. A brilliant burst up the left saw Evans release the equally influential Eli Walker and he managed to get his pass away for Beck to dive over in the corner. Where Gopperth failed from a similar position earlier, Biggar was bang on target as his conversion moved the Ospreys 26-19 clear. The Leinster pack were just held up short as they tried to maul their way over for a try in response. They kept up the territory but Cronin’s yellow card – awarded for a harsh scrum call – rocked them at a crucial stage. Captain Shane Jennings, who assumed the hooker’s role at the subsequent lineouts, helped Leinster regroup and a muscular close-in drive from prop McGrath saw him score underneath the posts. Gopperth converted to make it 26-26. Biggar miscued a drop-goal effort and young forwards Murphy and McGrath were both prominent as Leinster hunted for the winning score. It look to have arrived when Sam Lewis was caught offside and Gopperth split the posts with just four minutes left. However, the Ospreys showed impressive resilience to batter their way downfield and, thanks to Biggar, maintain their unbeaten start to the new season. Referee Leighton Hodges awarded a controversial injury-time penalty and moved the kick even closer as he punished Leinster for not retreating quickly enough. Biggar was nerveless from the kicking tee, finishing the match with a 19-point haul and ensuring a share of the spoils for his side at the end of a hugely entertaining early season tussle. Dan Biggar snatched a 29-29 draw for the Ospreys in Dublin as reigning RaboDirect PRO12 champions Leinster let a 10-point first-half advantage slip away.last_img read more